Posted by : Soham Friday 31 October 2014



Hating Bollywood music, yet loving music itself, I had no other option than surfing YouTube for international music (various genres) or even less popular, yet good, Indian music which wasn't associated with Bollywood.

I came across a lot of types, some were excellent, most songs of the genre were addictive. Some were just good, one or two songs were addictive. And some were completely out of my taste.

Not restricting myself to Indian music, I had a lot to talk to other music lovers from around the world. This brought many new songs to my attention, one of the songs being Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites.

Well, when I first heard it, it was just noise to me. But after a month or so, I found it to be pretty addictive. I went on to listen to other songs of the same genre; dubstep.

Now, I was at a point where the usual rock was boring and mainstream. And, I wasn't that much into metal either, back then. So, dubstep was like my new favourite genre.

And so, it became all I ever heard. My phone and computer playlist was full of dubstep. I would stream dubstep mixes on YouTube, look for dubstep remixes of my old favourites etc.

My close friends, who share my hatred for Bollywood music, did listen to the dubstep tracks I recommended and would even find a new track and recommend it to me. But, the other friends or people around me were completely against this genre.

They thought it wasn't real music and that I was pretty crazy to listen to it most of the times. Being a dubstep fan, I still agree that it's not music, in my opinion at least. However, it is sound, and it is entertaining, which is what music is about, most of the times, so I saw no harm in saying it was my favourite genre.

It's been a few years since then, and their thoughts haven't changed.
What re? Why don't you listen to some real music?
That's coming from someone who only listens to Yo Yo Honey Singh, Bollywood and a bit of One Direction.

So, naturally, I gave up on convincing my friends to listen to dubstep.

A few days ago, however, I saw this video while looking for dubstep.


And now, dubstep is the new cool. Everyone is listening to this song, saying it's awesome. Some have even tried other dubstep tracks, while some just stick to this one. I'm pretty sure there will be more dubstep songs in Bollywood in the movies to come, but, why is it that whatever Bollywood does is the trend in India?

Dubstep was widely used for ads and as EDM long before this song, all over the world, but, Indians never liked it. But, one movie uses it and suddenly, they're in love with it.

If tomorrow there's a song that supports male domination in society and raping, would that be considered 'cool'? Will that be the new trend?

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to Unusual Indian

Featured Song

Voltaire - When you're evil

Lol

Follow my rants

Popular Post

Unusual views

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © An Unusual Indian -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -