Posted by : Soham Friday 26 September 2014



In India, Feng Shui is known as Vastushastra. 'Vastu' means thing and 'shastra' means science. That drives me crazy. There is nothing scientific about Feng shui or Vastushastra. It's all superstitious.

When me and my family moved to this house, my brother was 14 and it was his time to face the board exam. And it is customary to have a few rituals when the house is new, as in, no previous owner. So, we had the rituals and after that, some person was called to give advice about the placement of furniture, a.k.a Vastushastra.

So, the guy told us all about 'The Science' behind Vastushastra and all that crap. And when he was told about my brother's studying years, he told my brother to hang three flutes on the southern wall of the room. And that would help him with his studies etc.

My parents, being believers of Vastushastra did as he said. They even hung three flutes in the third room of the house which was going to be mine when I grew up.

I don't see how 3 tubes of wood, with holes at regular intervals, and one flat end, taped on the southern wall of the room, is going to help anyone study. Well, even for superstitions, this one crazy.

Well, the flute was the instrument of Krishna, one of the major Hindu deities. I don't now about his academic performance but he was more known for his mischief, strength and uhm, many many wives (he had the ultimate swag apparently) And what about the southern part? I don't know of any connection between Krishna and the south. I know a south Indian who is a huge follower of Krishna, so maybe that's that.

But, I still don't get how having the instrument of the God who has nothing to do with studies, per se, is going t help someone study. Maybe if it was something like "Hang three live mice on the wall and feed them modaks (Indian sweet) everyday." because that's more Ganesh, and he is the God of Wisdom.

So, what led people to come up with this kind of stuff? Is it Feng Shui or drug enhanced imagination?

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to Unusual Indian

Featured Song

Voltaire - When you're evil

Lol

Follow my rants

Popular Post

Unusual views

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © An Unusual Indian -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -