Posted by : Soham Monday 29 September 2014



India is known for it's vast culture. Now, it's a secular country, but most of the natives are Hindu. And the Hindu religion has 33 crore (330 million) Gods. That's 7 0s after 33.

Well, there's actually a reasonable explanation behind that number but, I bet, very few people are actually aware of it. Even the so-called theists don't actually know why there are 33 crore Gods.

I'm leaving aside the fact that I know about a lot of religious stuff even though I'm an atheist. But, if you're interested in knowing the truth about that huge number: http://ilikan.com/blog/ultimate-list-of-33-crore-gods-in-hinduism/ (uhm, don't worry, it's not a real list of 330 Gods)

So, in this hardcore religious country, where almost everyone is a believer, being an atheist is suicide.


So, a lot of atheists don't actually come out of the closet (metaphorically...) I used to be the same, I was scared, somewhat. But, then, I just got tired of it all and decided to start speaking up once and for all.

Well, it didn't make any difference, I'm still dragged to temples and have to take part in rituals.

But, soon, everyone around me knew I was an atheist and when these older people talk about me, all they say is


And then there's family. Not the close family, the distant relatives. They always pick such subjects when they visit and me and my brother just express our discomfort. And then the relatives turn towards my parents

Relative: हा नस्तिक अहे का? (Is he an atheist?)

Mother: हो. (Yes)

(Turning towards me)

Relative: तुला आत्ता ह्यवर विश्वास नाहि होणार पण मोठा झाल्याव्र तुला कळेल. (You won't believe now, but when                  you grow up, you'll understand.)

Well, not that it makes any sense but fine, let's assume, when I grow up, I'll have faith in God. Why waste my childhood in temples and rituals then? Why not just wait till I reach adulthood and develop the faith myself? Forcing it doesn't help.

In most of the other countries, believing is optional. And, they don't bite your head off for not believing. But, in India,






Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to Unusual Indian

Featured Song

Voltaire - When you're evil

Lol

Follow my rants

Popular Post

Unusual views

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © An Unusual Indian -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -